Natchez Trace Civil War History
Several Civil War sites and battlefields can be found along or near the Natchez Trace Parkway. Two major areas are centered around the Battle of Shiloh and nearby Corinth, Mississippi and the Vicksburg Campaign.
Listed below for each Civil War History site are the milepost location (or, directions from the Trace), name of site and info about the site. Click on either the thumbnail picture or Civil War History name for more information, pictures and a location map for the site.
Tennessee Civil War History
- Shiloh National Military Park - If you are traveling south on the Trace, exit at milepost 370 onto US 64 and go west through Waynesboro and Savannah to the park area. If you are traveling north on the Trace, exit at milepost 266 onto Mississippi Highway 145 near Tupelo, then go north on US 45, and travel north through Corinth and onto the park area. Or, in Alabama you can exit the Trace at milepost 320 onto US 72 and travel west to Corinth and then north to the park area.
Mississippi Civil War History
- Corinth Civil War Interpretive Center - In Corinth, MS. If you are traveling north on the Trace, exit onto Mississippi Highway 145 near Tupelo, then go north on US 45 to Corinth. If you are traveling south on the Trace, exit onto US 72 at milepost 320 and travel west to Corinth.
- Brices Cross Roads National Battlefield Site - If traveling south, exit the Trace at milepost 282 onto Mississippi Highway 370 and travel west 11 miles to Baldwyn and then 5 more miles west to the battlefield site. If traveling north, access US 45 north of Tupelo and travel north 12 miles to highway 370 and go west 1 mile.
- Confederate Gravesites and Old Trace - milepost 269.4 - Old Trace, Top 30 Favorite Site
- Tupelo National Battlefield - Exit the Trace at milepost 259.7 onto Mississippi Highway 6 (Main Street in Tupelo) and travel east 1 mile.
- Raymond Military Park - Exit the Trace at milepost 79 onto Mississippi Highway 467 and travel east to the town of Raymond. Continue through Raymond to Mississippi Highway 18. Turn right (west) on highway 18 and the Raymond Military Park will be on your right a couple of miles down the road.
- Vicksburg National Military Park - Located west of the Natchez Trace Parkway in Vicksburg, Mississippi. I-20, Mississippi Highway 27 and U.S. 61 connect travelers from the Trace to Vicksburg.
- Grand Gulf Military Park - Exit the Trace at milepost 41 onto Mississippi Highway 18. Turn left (south) on US 61 and drive into Port Gibson. From the courthouse area in Port Gibson take Anthony Street out of town heading northwest. Anthony Street becomes Oil Mill Road. Oil Mill Road dead-ends into Grand Gulf Road. Turn left on Grand Gulf Road and follow the road to the park.
- A.K. Shaifer House / Battle of Port Gibson - Located between Port Gibson and Windsor Ruins.
Note: for your convenience the National Park Service displays a milepost on the east side of the parkway. Mileposts start at 0 on the southern end of the Trace near Natchez and end at 444 at the northern terminus (The Natchez Trace Parkway is 444 miles long.). Throughout this website, mileposts are used to help you locate attractions along the trace and exits on/off the Trace to help you find towns, attractions and bed and breakfasts located just off the Trace.